Re: Are there any problems with lexical-let or other cl-macros???

From: LanX
Subject: Re: Are there any problems with lexical-let or other cl-macros???
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:10:54 -0000

> Esthetically, but the implementation is not efficient, and cannot be
> since the emacs VM (which is a very high level lisp VM) doesn't
> provide a way to implement lexical binding at all AFAIK (well perhaps
> using a lisp vector and mapping variables to offsets, but this
> probably would not be more efficient either).

So it's only a performance issue? Isn't Elisp supposed to be slow
anyway?

he also writes

"(elisp...) at the very least, it should support reader macros."

could you please explain whats missing in defmacro?

I always thought they are expanded when the parser reads the code to
be compiled... or what is the definition of "reader macro" (couldn't
google good explanations and the elisp info has only one mention at
"16.5 Evaluation During Compilation")

Thanks
  rolf