Re: Using Emacs on small-display devices

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Using Emacs on small-display devices
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:08 -0000

On 2010-06-02, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Let me rephrase my question then: WHICH parameters, to which values?
>
> If I did not write it, it's because I didn't know it.
> So I did what you didn't do: C-h i m elisp RET m frame paramters RET and
> looked around.  The answer is in "29.3.3.3 Size Parameters"

Doing this in my 21.4.1....  Nothing relevant...

Logging into a machine with 23.2, and rechecking...  Still nothing
relevant...

Sorry, but I cannot judge your advice as helping a bit.  I still have
no info how the positions are counted: from "outside of the window
frame", or "inside the window frame", or from "outside edge of the
screen frame", or "inside edge of the screen frame" (what is called
"workspace" sometimes - the screen minus all the "keep visible"
toolbars)...

(Moreover, according to 23.2 docs, there is something fishy with using
negative offsets - which may be needed with some combinations of the
answers to the questions above.

  [Let me remind you: what I want is positioning of the "inside edge
   of the window frame" over the "outside edge of the screen".  My FF
   does it on F11; Acroread on ^-L.]

  [And I do not care about "sizes" in pixel - they have very little to
   do with widget layout in presence of scrollbars and other ornaments
   (not even speaking about variable fonts.  I want sizing in
   pixels...]

Yours,
Ilya