Re: About Emacs Modernisation Project

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: About Emacs Modernisation Project
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:09 -0000

On May 31, 12:41 pm, Alessandro Piras <lay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > IMHO an alternative (but compatible ) eLISP-dialect simply allowing to
> > swap parens and functionnames and to write "message(...)" instead of
> > "(message...)" would increase the acceptance immidiately.
>
> Sounds Like M-expressions. It has been tried in the past in the Lisp world,
> without much success. Most programmers realize after few time the
> sweetness of S-expressions and macros. I think it would just lead to a
> small amount of M-expressions code that would be soon refactored as
> S-expressions.. Not worth the effort I suspect.

there are lisp languages with full M-expression and successful one at
that.

See the following articles for much detail and examples.

• The Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Fully
Nested Notations
  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/notations.html

• Fundamental Problems of Lisp
  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/lisp_problems.html