Re: line-move-visual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:05 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> Coupled with these real technical issues, there are the attitudinal
> problems of holier-than-thou, smarter-than-thou and modern-than-thou
> and what have you.

Everybody is free to join the discussions on the Emacs developer lists.
Those who choose not to help with the work don't get to criticize the
results.  A common democratic principle.

> In another part of this thread, we have also seen the astonishing idea
> that the developers don't have to care about what the users
> want/need. If that is the attitude that open source developers take,
> then I will be the first to give up open source!

An excellent idea.  The Free Software Foundation cares principally about
free software, not open source.

Open source sports the notion of creating superior software by
significantly different processes than common.

Free software is based on the premise of empowering the recipient of
software to change and adapting it according to his own needs.

Pampering to the needs of users who are not interested in changing and
adapting the software according to their needs is not a major priority.

Feel free to fork any free software which does not behave like you want
it: you have the power.  You are not dependent on upstream developers.

If you tie yourself to distribution channels that take this power from
you effectively, you are doing it by choice.  If you think you are in a
suitable majority, tell your distribution channel to change the upstream
decision for you if you don't feel like discussing this in a civilized
manner on the developer discussion lists created for that purpose.

--
David Kastrup