Re: line-move-visual

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:22 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> On 6/12/2010 9:30 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> It would mean mechanically routing the developer list here.  That's
>> nonsensical.  Anybody really wanting this sort of mixup can tell his
>> newsreader to create a virtual group that does it.
>
> No, not really.
>
> The discussion that needs to be routed here is about potential changes to the
> user's manual.  How those changes are *implemented* can continue to stay on
> the developer list.  Evans suggested "RFC" which I think is a great term for
> these kinds of things.
>
> Ideas that add bits to the user's manual can also be brought here, perhaps
> selectively.  For instance, there is a discussion going on there right now
> about how to deliver "bidirectional text" editing, for buffers that intermix
> English and Arabic, say.  There are lots of tricky issues there about key
> bindings and functionality.  The discussion is impoverished by the dearth of
> people that actually do bidirectional editing.  I don't see why that
> discussion could not be brought here, where there is some chance of running
> into people that might actually do bidirectional editing and who might provide
> valuable input.
>
> In any organization, virtual or real, there are decisions that should be taken
> by small groups of people and there are decisions that can benefit from broad
> participation.  The organizations that can't figure out the difference usually
> decline over time.

My only concern here is with identification of what should and should
not be posted in g.e.h as well as on the developer mail list. While I
think Evans suggestion is worth consideration, I still see it failing
because it relies too much on everyone doing the 'right thing' and as
can be seen from this discussion, knowing what is the right thing is not
that straight-forward. However, discussions on possibilities are
certainly worthwhile and essentila to finding the right balance.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au