Re: line-move-visual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:35 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> So, Mark has every right to blow up when things have changed
> essentially. Emacs devs needed that lesson and, judging from Stefan's
> last post, I think they continue to need it.  Do you disagree?

I should think that if your attitude towards Emacs developers seemed a
bit less similar to manipulating unthinking apes into doing useful
tricks according to your bidding, you might get a better return for the
amount of stuff you write.

If you want some response from the developers, the right way is to talk
with them like normal human beings would rather than trying to view them
as laboratory rats and discuss your findings about their reactions with
other superior life forms.

If you have questions about the intent behind a post of Stefan, the
person to ask is Stefan.  And trying to get a consensus about Stefan and
other developers needing further lessons is not what I consider a
discourse worthy for respectful human beings.

The question is not how to manipulate Emacs developers into doing things
the way you'd like them to do.  The question is how to argue against the
priorities and reasons (readily accessible in the developer list
archives) that lead to the current decision, and come up with additional
data that may shift the balance.

"It makes obnoxious and insolent people raise a stink elsewhere" is, at
least in my book, not a particularly important consideration for
choosing defaults.  So there is not much to be gained by you and in
particular Mark trying to increase their efforts in that area.

--
David Kastrup