Re: An instructive example of trace-function and some example of debugg

From: bolega
Subject: Re: An instructive example of trace-function and some example of debugging
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:38 -0000

On Jun 13, 8:07 am, Icarus Sparry <use...@icarus.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:43:46 -0700, bolega wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 1:27 pm, bolega <gnuist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> An instructive example of trace-function and some example of debugging,
> >> for example, some of the error that pops up in lower window of emacs
> >> and how to read/interpret it. Alternatively, a link to some page or
> >> elisp manual but I am sure an expert here would have a superior
> >> instruction as many replies here have shown.
>
> >> Thanks
> >> Bolega
>
> >> trace-function is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `trace'.
> >> [Arg list not available until function definition is loaded.]
>
> >> Traces FUNCTION with trace output going to BUFFER. For every call of
> >> FUNCTION Lisp-style trace messages that display argument
> >> and return values will be inserted into BUFFER. This function generates
> >> the
> >> trace advice for FUNCTION and activates it together with any other
> >> advice
> >> there might be!! The trace BUFFER will popup whenever FUNCTION is
> >> called.
> >> Do not use this to trace functions that switch buffers or do any other
> >> display oriented stuff, use `trace-function-background' instead.
>
> > let me widen the newsgroups as there was no reply to this one in the
> > first one.
>
> > Sometimes, in emacs, error takes places and the mode gets nested inside
> > many brackets.
>
> > [(((.lisp...)))]
>
> > above line recalling from memory
>
> > what does it mean ? C-g does not get out of it.
>
> > What to do ?
>
> If you are seeing [[[lisp]]] then you are in a "recursive edit".
>
> This is not an error, it is a feature! The most common way to get into it
> is if you are doing a query-replace (M-% with standard bindings), and
> type control-r. This allows you to make some edits and then continue the
> query-replace.
>
> The standard key binding to abort out of recursive edit is C-] (the [..]
> in the mode line is supposed to help you remember this key sequence).

thx. I searched google ,

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/search?num=100&group=gnu.emacs.help&q=recursive+edit&qt_g=Search+this+group

but found very sketchy info on how to utilize this FEATURE. Just one
seemed helpful,

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/8dc303a526356794/96c264702c0a4443?lnk=gst&q=recursive+edit#96c264702c0a4443

otherwise people were complaining how to get out of this strangeness,
even a "high IQ" guy from some big name company.

Can anyone add useful ideas how to get out of it incrementally and
really get benefit from it. Is there somewhere a more complete info on
it ?