Re: line-move-visual

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:54 -0000

>>> principal way of working, rather than in special cases in some obscure
>>> feature (keyboard macros).
>>      Keyboard macros are far from obscure.
>
> Indeed.
>
>>> And it was dashed near impossible to move easily to the middle of
>>> long, long lines.
>>      C-u <some number> right-arrow
>
> How convenient!
> Say you're in a window and want to go down 3 visual lines on the same
> long logical line.  What number do you use?  Ok, let's make it easier
> and say that you happen to know that the window is 76-chars wide.
> So 76 by 3? quick? quick?

240. You can refine later.

> Now let's do that again but with 13 lines, where you don't actually know
> it's "13": you first have to count it.

Let's say you can't even count the lines!

You can always, and only with emacs, type:

M-: (forward-char (/ (- (progn (end-of-line) (point)) (progn
(beginning-of-line) (point))) 2)) RET

> The best I could come up with, is C-76 C-f and then C-x z z z ... until
> you reach the line.

> Now this all becomes a lot more interesting once you add word-wrap into
> the mix, or TABs, or bytes displayed \NNN, or the presence of various
> fonts and/or font-sizes on that long line, or variable-pitch fonts, ...

Well, C-f C-n is all you need.  I mean, keep C-f pressed until the
cursor reaches the column you want, you don't even need to count
76.  And keep C-n pressed until the cursor reaches the line you want.

>         Stefan "who reached for the mouse in all those cases, tho
>                 typically only after first unconsciously hitting C-n
>                 a few times and then realizing that C-n jumped way
>                 further than intended"

WFM.  So far.