Re: line-move-visual

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:56 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> It's far from obvious that this change (line-visual-mode being set) is a
>> Bad Thing.  Without it, moving around things like log files with 300
>> character lines was an utter pain.  I'd suggest it was more of a pain
>> than the one you're suffering, because it hit users using Emacs in its
>> principal way of working, rather than in special cases in some obscure
>> feature
>> (keyboard macros).
>
> If line-move-visual was nil by default, would you have been able to set it to
> t in order to move around the log files?

This sentiment I agree with. The default for line-move-visual should
have been nil not t, especially as there are some things that still need
more thought (i.e. macros) and if for no other reason, to give
maintainers of other packages time to fix potentially broken code.

The introduciton of this facility was in itself a good idea. How it has
been introduced was not.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au