Re: line-move-visual

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:12 -0000

* Joseph Brenner [2010-06-16 04:11+0200] writes:

>> I don't think that you are the only ones (and never said that).  But it
>> seems to me that it's your own fault to use keyboard macros for
>> "mission-critical" stuff and not testing them.
>
> Right.  So we hack our own test library, and we use it to determine that
> emacs 23 will break our code.  We then put up a notice telling the end
> users that they shouldn't uprade their version of emacs. They do it
> anyway, and begin complaining, but everything's cool, because we can
> point at the notice we put up.

Maybe we could fix our code and put up a version that works with
Emacs23.  Oh wait, that doesn't work because users can't be bothered to
upgrade our code since it is oh so mission-critical.  Yes you're right:
it's better to not test anything and simply assume that Emacs never
changes.  Since Emacs is 20 years old it doesn't change anymore; we can
just close our eyes and we don't need to see the reality.  All our
assumptions about Emacs are correct and our code is perfect.

> Note that in this case, you'd have to have pretty good test coverage
> to have a hope of noticing this problem, because it's not the kind of
> breakage that anyone would've anticipated as being at all likely.

A test with lines longer than screen width would notice it.  Seems like
a simple and common test to me.

Helmut