Re: How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:56 -0000

>> When do
>> C-h i
>> C-s elisp
>>
>> I can't find Elisp.
>> Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
>> on Squeeze?
>
> Dunno.  Emacs should *always* come with the Emacs manual and the Elisp manual,
> at a minimum.  Anything other than that is perverse.  They are as much a part
> of
> Emacs itself as is `C-h'.
>
> Maybe someone else here can help you. If not, try contacting Debian help.
> Googling indicates this might help: http://www.debianhelp.org/.

At one time, the GNU Emacs manual and the elisp manual were, under
Debian, in separate packages because there was something in the
documentation which did not meet the Debian licensing requirements
(can't remember the exact details). They therefore packages the manuals
under the 'non-free' section. However, I'm pretty sure this changed with
emacs 23, so they should now be installed if your using the debian
packages for emacs 23.

Instead of C-s elisp when inside the info system, at the top level
'dir', try m elisp. It should be there. If not, check the package
manager for 'elisp'. I'm pretty certain it is now part of the emacs23
package, but if not, it is definitely packaged under Debian.  Maybe also
look in the /usr/share/info directory - just do a ls | grep elisp as it
is possible that your DIR file has somehow been corrupted and not
updated correctly. Provided it is in that directory, you can get it
using the goto node command (i.e. g (elisp)Top).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au