Mews sees vastly more messages in my inbox than Evolution does

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Mews sees vastly more messages in my inbox than Evolution does
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:07:41 -0000

Recently I decided to give Mews a try as an e-mail client at work.
After a couple of hours of tinkering, I was able to get it to connect to
my local IMAP server.  However, I was surprised to see it begin busily
processing every message I've ever received on that server--over
31,000--before finally, much later, presenting them all to me in one
huge inbox buffer.

Until now I've been using Evolution to read (and delete) my e-mail on
this account.  It shows fewer than 200 messages.  Does anyone know why
Mews thinks all the messages I've ever deleted should still be
displayed, and how I can rectify the situation?  Thanks in advance.