Re: turning off all indentation

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: turning off all indentation
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:08:06 -0000

Lynn Newton <lynn.newton@gmail.com> writes:

>     I want a trivial way to disable autoindenting for
>     all languages and in all modes. I want it to work
>     in all versions of Emacs and I don't want it stop
>     working.

To summarize, the following are _not_ solutions :

- A piece of code that does disable indentation in all modes and all
versions, but foo-mode in Emacs 22.3.174.

- A piece of code that always works, ever, but contains a very short,
but incomprehensible algorithm.

- A piece of code that works in all modes he uses. But not in some c++
  mode, some Indian teenager wrote in the '90, which of course he never
  published. (Because his girl-friend had left him at the time.)

> Suggestions? Thank you.

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook
          (lambda nil
            (local-set-key [return] nil)
            (local-set-key [tab] nil)))

I don't know which version this hook was introduced.

-ap