Re: How to check if cperl-mode.el file is loaded

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How to check if cperl-mode.el file is loaded
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:09:20 -0000

"Powell, Eric" <EPowell1@med.miami.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the newest version of cperl-mode and, although I am not
> getting errors, I still don’t think it’s loaded correctly.  I downloaded the
> cperl-mode.el file from http://github.com/jrockway/cperl-mode and placed it in
> my elisp directory.
>
> What gets me is that when I check the version (C-h v cperl-version) it says
> 4.23, which is the same version number that my emacs originally came with.
>
> Is there anything in particular that I should notice different between v4.23
> and the current version at the website above?
>
> On a side note, in my .emacs file, I notice that if I put the require
> statement after the ‘add-to-list’ command that I get an error: ‘error:
> "Invalid escape character syntax"’.  That doesn’t seem right to me, but when I
> switched the order of the two it went away, so I left it like that.

If you have the require before the add-to-path statement, then you will
be loading the cperl mode that comes with meacs, not the one you hve
downloaded.

The invalid syntax error indicates (at a guess) either that

1. The file you have odnwloaded is currupted. Try byte compiling it and
see if you get any errors.

2. The cperl mode you are tyring to use is not compatible with the
version of emacs you are running. I'm guessing, but perhaps the version
you are tyring to load has been modified to support a later version of
emacs and is not compatible with the version you are running.

Note that there is considerable confusion surrounding cperl mode and
version numbes. The main problem is that the author of cperl mode
maintains his own version with version numbers that are independent from
the version and version numbers of the one bundled with emacs. It seems
that there is some stuff in cperl mode that the emacs maintainers need
to modify (I don't know the full details) to include it in the emacs
distribution.

One way to avoid confusion is to rename the cperl source files that come
with emacs to something like oldcperl.el and oldcperl.elc. Then get the
version you have downloaded installed and working.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au