Re: line-move-visual

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:20 -0000

On Jun 15, 8:30 pm, Evans Winner <tho...@unm.edu> wrote:
> ,------ Thad Floryan wrote ------
> |   Your opinion which neither I nor 100,000s of others
> |   share -- you stand alone.
>
> Not alone.  I've read similar advice in the past.
>
> What I would like to try is a situation in which holding
> down SPC and then hitting something else causes SPC to act
> like Control.  But if nothing is hit along with SPC then it
> sends a Space character on key-up.  Obviously this would
> have the drawback that one could not get repeated spaces by
> holding down the space key, but I would like to at least
> experiment with it.  I don't know if it is possible to map
> the keys that way, though.  I've looked into it a bit, but
> not figured it out.
>
> Failing that, I do use Caps-Lock and Control swapped and
> have for some time.  It doesn't seem terribly harmful to me.
> The idea of palming the Control key is interesting, but it
> seems as if it would require tiny hands to really do
> comfortably.  For me, I do have to move my hands awkwardly
> from the home row to do that, whereas I don't really have to
> move from the home row to hit the key to the left of `A'.
> Maybe it was all the piano playing back in the day, but my
> fifth finger moves the slight bit sideways pretty fluently.

whether you can use the palm edge to hit control key depends on your
keyboard of course.

On vast majority of generic PC keyboard, that can be trivially done,
regardless if you have large or small hands.

You can see picts of several keyboards here, including a generic PC
one that's usually just $6.

• Computer Keyboards Gallery
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboards.html

you can also see a pict and video of the Daz Keyboard, which follows
the standard generic PC keyboard shape:

• The Idiocy of Hacker Keyboards
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboards_hacker_idiocy.html

you can also see the classic IBM keyboard there with its huge Control
key.

it is so easy to hit with the palm. Just push down your palm and you
hit it. Almost easier than pressing keys with index finger on the home
row.

 Xah