Re: Emacs and Virtual Mail

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs and Virtual Mail
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:47 -0000

J. David Boyd wrote:

I've put the following entity in to my .emacs custom-variables

 '(vm-primary-inbox
"pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword")

But, when I start VM, I get the following error message:

 No such POP folder:
pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword

Anyone able to point me to the correct spot in the docs, or on the net,
where I can find out what I am doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong, but this way accessing POP folders as the primary-inbox never seems to have been tried, and it isn't working. Quite amazing, actually.

The EmacsWiki page

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ViewMailQuickStart

describes the more common way of accessing POP folders under "Most Important Variables - POP Server Folders". Please use that method for now. I will get the inbox problem fixed in the next release.

Cheers,
Uday

PS: By the way, VM stands for "View Mail". And, gnu.emacs.vm.info is the standard forum for VM discussion.