Re: Unmatched parenthesis. Okay, but if this is a smiley?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Unmatched parenthesis. Okay, but if this is a smiley?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:56 -0000

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>> It sometimes happens to use smileys (e.g. in e-mails, through
>>> e.g. Gnus) in emacs. The problem is that it always gives me `Unmatched
>>> parenthesis' in the minibuffer. Is there some .el script to solve this
>>> `issue?'
>>
>> Check the mode.  In message buffers, no parenthesis checking should be done.
> Could you be more explicit? Thanks.

The behavior you describe is not 'normal'.  When you have a normal
GNUS message buffer, like the one I'm typing right now ;-), you can
insert any number of unbalanced parentheses because no checking is
done.

Here are the major-mode and currently active minor modes in my GNUS message
buffer:

major-mode            --> message-mode

(defun current-minor-modes (&optional buffer)
  "The list of the minor modes currently active in the buffer (or current
buffer)."
  (let ((result '()))
    (with-current-buffer (or buffer (current-buffer))
      (dolist (mode minor-mode-list result)
        (when (and (boundp mode) (symbol-value mode))
          (push mode result))))))

(current-minor-modes)  --> (abbrev-mode transient-mark-mode
                            line-number-mode auto-compression-mode
                            auto-encryption-mode
                            unify-8859-on-encoding-mode
                            unify-8859-on-decoding-mode
                            blink-cursor-mode font-lock-mode
                            global-font-lock-mode
                            file-name-shadow-mode mouse-wheel-mode
                            tooltip-mode shell-dirtrack-mode
                            auto-image-file-mode display-time-mode
                            mml-mode)

So you must have some hook or some other minor mode configured that
activates such mismatched parentheses dectection and signaling an
error.