Re: emacs in a terminal : problems with control

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: emacs in a terminal : problems with control
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:58 -0000

On 2010-06-24, Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>>> I am one of those weirdos that likes running emacs from a terminal. I
>>> always do this because I sometimes must (when editing remotely through
>>> SSH), so I won't have to switch between a graphical editor and a
>>> terminal editor.
>>
>> Hm?
>>
>> C-x C-f /username@host:localfile RET
>>
>> What do you gain by letting the editor run remotely, when all you
>> actually want is the file access?
>
> If the file is big, it's better to edit it remotely than to download it,
> modify it and upload it.  Of course, if you have a 10,000 Mb/s network
> link between the two computers, it may not make a difference.

I can see many other advantages too.  Like positions of backup file,
and interrupted-edit files; behaviour when a connection is
interrupted; no need to retype usernames and hosts (which, in tcsh,
might be auto-completed) etc.

Yours,
Ilya

 (who never uses remote C-x C-f, but remote emacs-through-ssh- I just
 use xterm, which allows passing all the control chars)