Re: ~/.emacs error loading mailcrypt on 1 of 2 machines after Ubuntu upg

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: ~/.emacs error loading mailcrypt on 1 of 2 machines after Ubuntu upgrade
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:16:10 -0000

Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:

> I just upgraded two machines from Ubuntu karmic to lucid.  Both have
>
> (require 'mailcrypt-init)
> (load-library "mailcrypt")
>
> in the ~/.emacs file, and the same mailcrypt and emacs packages
> (version 3.5.8+CVS.2005.04.29.1-12.1 and 23.1+1-4ubuntu7) installed.
> On one of them, no problem.  On the other, emacs gives this error
> (verbose version from the --debug-init option):
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "mailcrypt")
>   load("mailcrypt")
>   load-library("mailcrypt")
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/adam/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at
> buffer position 3202
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/adam/.emacs" "/home/adam/.emacs" t t)
>   load("~/.emacs" t t)
>   #[nil "ด
>   command-line()
>   normal-top-level()
>

> Any idea what could be broken on one but not the other?

Check that the mailcrypt elc files are in /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp
Check that either /etc/emacs/site-lisp.d or /etc/emacs23/site-lisp.d
both have a mailcrypt init file that sets the appropriate paths so that
emacs can find both a *.elc version compiled for the version you are
running and the *.el files. (the *.el files are usually in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

Note also that mailcrypt has. to a large extent, been superceeded by
gpp, which has been bundled with emacs since version 22. It provides
most of the same functionality. Integration with your mail reader may
vary depending on the mail reader.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au