Re: Distinguishing interactive and non-interactive functions or customiz

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Distinguishing interactive and non-interactive functions or customizing `execute-extended-command'?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:16:41 -0000

* 2010-07-01 02:56 (-0700), Elena wrote:

> For instance, I'd like to define an interactive "sort" command which
> would act accordingly to context. However, a non-interactive `sort'
> function already exists and I think that redefining it should be my
> last (ugly) resort. I'd just like to find a way to type `M-x sort RET'
> and having my own `sort' command executed.

I don't recommend doing that but it should be possible with so called
"around-advices". The idea is that your "advice" code runs instead of
the original function and then you can decide to call the original
function according to some condition (if (called-interactively-p) ...).
See the Emacs Lisp manual and section 17 Advising Emacs Lisp Functions.

But I'd just choose a different name for such user-interface sort
command and perhaps bind it to a key if it's needed often.