Re: highlighting selected text

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: highlighting selected text
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:18:34 -0000

On Jul 13, 2:42 am, Jon Antonovics <jono...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm using emacs (emacs-nox) over an ssh terminal, and on just one
> machine that I log into when I select some text it isn't visible what
> text I've selected.  On every other machine I've used it appears
> inverted.
>
> I've copied over my personal .emacs file from other machines I use in
> case there was something in there doing it, to no avail.
>
> What switches this on, or could switch it off?

text highlighting is controlled by transient-mark-mode. It's on by
default since emacs 23.1.See:

• New Features in Emacs 23
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs23_features.html

in a text terminal, highlighting also can be effected by your terminal
setup. You have to turn on ascii color or something called that if you
haven't already...

see if these helps.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/