Re: creating 6 balanced windows in a single command

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: creating 6 balanced windows in a single command
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:41 -0000

On Jul 20, 6:26 am, Terrence Brannon <metap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought that Emacs 23 had a single command that would create 6
> balanced windows like
> this:http://www.screencast.com/users/terrence_work/folders/Jing/media/7578...
>
> If not, I suppose I could always write the simple elisp to do it in a
> command myself.

I don't know if a function already exists, but this seems to work:

; close any other open windows and then
; divide the current active window into six similar sized windows
(defun MakeSixWindows ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (split-window-vertically)
  (next-window)
  (setq windowColumns
    (let ((edges (window-edges))) (- (nth 2 edges) (nth 0 edges))) )
  (split-window-horizontally (round (* windowColumns 0.66)))
  (split-window-horizontally)
  (previous-multiframe-window)
  (split-window-horizontally (round (* windowColumns 0.66)))
  (next-window)
  (split-window-horizontally)
)

; run MakeSixWindows function by pressing the F8 key
(global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'MakeSixWindows)