Re: Do we need a "Stevens" book?

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Do we need a "Stevens" book?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:21:42 -0000

On Jul 29, 11:40 am, Thien-Thi Nguyen <t...@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () Olwe Melwasul <hercynianfor...@gmail.com>
> () Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:42:14 -0500
>
>    Okay, I can Google [...]
>
> Why does the search start with Google (and continue with other
> downstream, non-terminating, whirlpool-shaped, out of date, referenda)?
> Why not go to the source?  The Emacs Lisp manual, the Emacs Lisp code,
> the Emacs customization facility, the Emacs *scratch* buffer, the Emacs!

Because google searches the world wide web faster and better (usually)
than me searching my info dir
Unfortunately 'usually' is not 'always' -- hence Olwe's wish is valid

>    Personally I've been admiring Emacs from afar for quite some time.
>
> Pirsig sez: Quality is the moment of perception.
> Afar dilutes this.  Stop it.

My comint.el reads at 3538 lines.
Also a
$ find ~/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp -name '*.el.gz'  |  xargs zcat
|  wc -l
returns 1076048

Spelt out, thats a million lines of elisp only in the default emacs
install

Now what exactly were you saying?