Re: gnus - setting Mail-Followup-To header

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: gnus - setting Mail-Followup-To header
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:24:49 -0000

On 8/6/2010 8:19 AM, Gary wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Gmane doesn't send email. Mail-Followup-To
doesn't stop users of gmane's nntp interface also replying by email of
course, but people using newsreaders don't tend to do so, because a
reply/followup will always go back to the newsgroup/list unless
otherwise specified. Contrast this with most MUA users use of "Reply to
all" in order to get their responses to the list and not (only) the
original sender and you will understand why I think newsreaders are
simply better for this kind of thing (reading and replying to mass
distributed messages).

I don't disagree that newsgroups are better for this kind of discussion.

But, when the newsgroup is being used as a front-end to a mailing list, I prefer to receive a personal copy of any responses so that I know what is being discussed. Now, gmane doesn't know that I want a personal copy and you don't. So, it can't make a uniform decision about putting a Mail-Followup-To header.

Cheers,
Uday