"Cannot open load file: wid-edit" error

From: Henri Fischer
Subject: "Cannot open load file: wid-edit" error
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:25:06 -0000

Hi,

For some reason, the new version of Emacs on my USB (for use in
Windows XP), cannot open the load file.

I downloaded the zip file from GNU and extracted it. The old version
(23.1.1) and the new version (23.2.1) now each have their own folder
within "e:/1/11/". I left my .emacs unchanged.
However I did copy sitelisp.el from the old to the new version. It
contains the following code to make sure Emacs can find its home:
**************
 (if (and invocation-directory
   (eq (string-match "[a-zA-Z]:" invocation-directory) 0))
(let ((drive (substring invocation-directory 0 1)))
(setenv "HOME" (concat drive ":/home"))))
**************

I can start both versions from their respective e:/1/11/.../bin with
"runemacs.exe". The old version is fully functional, but when in the
new version I try to change the mode in a buffer (M-x org-mode), the
new version gives the error mentioned in the subject.

when I evaluate load-path in *scratch*, both versions show (almost)
the same list of folders. There are two differences. One of course is
the version number. Which is as it should be, so nothing wrong there.
The second difference is that in the old version, the entire load-path
is shown twice.

All in all, I don't see any reason why the 23.2.1 behaves so
strangely. Loading .emacs from dired doesn't help.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to solve this problem? Your
help is appreciated.

Henri