Re: Emacs slow away from home

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Emacs slow away from home
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:26:04 -0000

On Aug 24, 5:36 pm, Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:
> Ron House <rho...@smartchat.net.au> writes:
> > On 24/08/10 18:03, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >> Ron House<rho...@smartchat.net.au>  writes:
:
:

> I would suggest ensuring that your host has an entry in /etc/hosts for the
> hostname you use, though, which should reduce the problem.  Alternately, you
> could tune down the DNS lookup time.

I remember (some 7-10 years ago) that emacs would simply not start
with a broken network setup
I dont remember what the correction was (something to do with hosts)
but what I do remember was something like this:
emacs would refuse to start if the ethernet cable was unplugged.

And I was (more or less as you describe): What the hell does emacs
have to do with the net side of things?!

> > As it happens, I was trying to edit the files to get the network going
> > elsewhere, and the 2 minute delay each time was really funny, in an annoying
> > fashion.
>
> All die.  Oh, the embarrassment. ;)

Sometimes you need vi's help to use emacs <<Duck>>