Re: Estimating track length

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Estimating track length
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:26:18 -0000

On 2010-08-25, tossel@gmail.com <tossel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
>>> from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
>>> obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
>>> to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

> mp3, ogg, wav, wma etc. - the more formats the better.
> It's a good idea to find an external program to do this task, but
> could not find any either.

My mp3info2 is not yet up to the task (oggs are hard beasts to measure
length; the rest should works); the same goes for exiftool.  The
mplayer incantation in the other message would probably work (although
the rest of that message is not very trustworthy).

You should also try mediainfo.

Hope this helps,
Ilya