Re: Simple copy & paste problem

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Simple copy & paste problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:27:33 -0000

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <87fwyl9haf.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
> Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
>>
>>Use delete-region-and-yank instead of yank:
>>
>>(defun delete-region-and-yank (&optional arg)
>>  "Deletes region if mark is active and yanks the last kill.
>>Always replaces the region with the yank, whether the region was
>>selected via keyboard or mouse.  Also works for normal
>>yank even with ARGS (thus it can be mapped to \\C-y)"
>>  (interactive "*P")                    ; raw, like yank.
>>  (message "arg=%S" arg)
>>  (cond
>>    (mark-active                        ; delete region
>>     (let ((str (buffer-substring (point) (mark))))
>>       (delete-region (point) (mark))
>>       (if (string=* str (current-kill 0 1))
>>           (let ((str2 (current-kill 1 1)))
>>             (kill-new str2 t))))
>>     (if arg
>>         (yank arg)
>>         (yank)))
>>    ;; else no region selected:
>>    ((consp arg)                        ; delete forward sexp
>>     (set-mark (point))
>>     (forward-sexp 1)
>>     (delete-region-and-yank))
>>    (arg (yank arg))
>>    (t   (yank))))
>>

>>--
>>__Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
>

> That function, delete-region-and-yank, is not part
> of standard emacs -- its yours, you wrote it.
>
> What, writing code is so easy that it flies off
> your fingers as fast as you can type?

Exactly.

> No, of course not.

Yes, indeed.

> So, pjb, what do you have,
> a whole library of these useful tools that you wrote?

Of course, I don't like to do twice the same thing.

> With a little annotation of why you wrote function x,
> and how it works, you'd have something you could,
> if you felt super generous, provide it to everyone,
> the library.

I have, and I do.

> (For all I know, you already have!)

Indeed.

> (With sufficient annotation (commenting), it'd be good
> for additional examples of using elisp).

Why don't you try to follow this little
link you can find in all my signatures: ---------------+
Why do you think we take the pain of                   |
putting such links in our signatures?                  |