Re: Using the clipboard in development version of Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using the clipboard in development version of Emacs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:27:50 -0000

> Hmm, sorry, I should have done more googling first.  I am getting the
> impression that this is work-in-progress, rather than a stable change.

Actually, while some of the implementation details may still change, the
behavior you describe is the one sought after.  It may seem odd after
all these years of using the other behavior, but it is the standard
behavior of most other X applications: the PRIMARY selection and the
CLIPBOARD are 2 separate entities: the PRIMARY is set via "mouse-1
selection" and used via "mouse-2 paste", and the CLIPBOARD is set/used
via things like C-k/C-y or C-x/C-v.

Check NEWS (e.g. with C-h N) to see what's changed, and hence how to
change back if you prefer the earlier behavior.

        Stefan