Re: where are my brackets?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: where are my brackets?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:28 -0000

Bao Marianna Nguyen <bmarianna@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a macbook pro and I use emacs for mac os.

I would advise you to buy a more recent Apple computer and try MacOSX.

> The problem is that
> I can't type in {} or [] whit the usual keys, which is
> shift+options+8/9. How do I type these characters?
>
> And I have a norwegian keyboard

That's the bug.
You've got two solutions:

- either you switch to an american keyboard,

- or you switch to a norwegian programming language (where we may
  assume {} and [] are not used since they're so hard to type on a
  norwegian keyboard).

Notice that on MacOSX you can easily activate a key-chord to switch
layouts, and they type the bracket you want, and switch back.

Otherwise, in emacs, you could map some other key to them, using key
translations. See: keyboard-translate