Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:33 -0000

"Russ P." <russ.paielli@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. At this point, I am
> changing my strategy. I intend to use rsync and git to keep my home
> and work computers synchronized. Then I will be able to use Emacs
> locally and not worry about network delays. Maybe I should have done
> this a while back, but better late than never. I just learned how to
> use rsync through an ssh tunnel, and that is what I need (see my post
> at comp.unix.shell on that).
>
> I'd still like to see future versions of Emacs with improved network
> performance. For whatever reason, XEmacs seems to do much better in
> that regard.

If remote editing is all you require, tramp mode is really good. Once
you setup ssh and ssh-agent, all you need to do is

C-x C-f /hostname:path/to/file

I find setting the tramp cache directory to a local temp directory helps
on slow or unreliable ssh connections that drop out. A lot easier than
maintaining mirirs with rsynch (which is what I use to do).

If you need to use other tools on the files and want things to look like
they are local, sshfs is also useful.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au