Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:35 -0000

>> This is disappointing. As far as I can tell, Emacs seems to be
>> essentially unusable for remote usage. I can't believe I am the only
>> one who has noticed this problem. Am I the only one who uses Emacs/
>> XEmacs to work remotely over ssh -X?
> I used to use emacs over X/ssh on remote links, but finally had to give up:
> with recent versions it has become almost unusable.

For Emacs-21, we made a specific effort to get remote use working
"efficiently", in response to complaints that it was a lot slower than
Emacs-20.  I guess we need to do the same now.

The best for that is to give (via M-x report-emacs-bug) very concrete,
easy to reproduce steps that are noticably slower in Emacs-23 than in
Emacs-22 (or Emacs-21), so we can analyze the network traffic in those
two cases and try to improve it.

        Stefan