Re: where is .emacs configuration file

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: where is .emacs configuration file
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:30:44 -0000

> Okay, following the hint in section '3.5 Where do I put my init
> file?' ["Within Emacs, <~> at the beginning of a file name is expanded
> to your HOME directory, so you can always find your .emacs file with C-
> x C-f ~/.emacs. "] I discovered that my init file was in c:\lisp. It
> wasn't in any of the places mentioned in 1 through 5 listed in that
> section.
>
> I'm sort of wondering how that happened, but I realize that it's
> probably a Windows thing and the work required to scratch that itch
> wouldn't justify the pleasure I would experience by having the answer.

For me on Windows XP, the default for "home directory" starts out as
you originally listed - c:\Documents and Settings\<username>

But you can change that to another directory by defining a user
environmental variable "HOME" in the Windows Control Panel. There may
another way to do it, like adding something to the Windows Registry.

If you have an environmental variable HOME and it points to c:\lisp
and you didn't do it, my guess would be that some installer for a Lisp
product did it.