Re: S-tab translated to C-y on a mac?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: S-tab translated to C-y on a mac?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:15 -0000

[ No idea why S-tab is mapped to C-y, but indeed the Emacs-23 code just
  does that.  Emacs-24 changed it to backtab, which makes more sense to
  my X11-oriented mind. ]

> First, the translation is stored in a *copy* of `ns-alternatives-map',
[...]
> I don't see why that keymap is cloned, but whatever.

Because Emacs keymap don't support multiple inheritance.

> Second, if I just add this my binding actually works:
>   (global-set-key [S-tab] #'tab-to-tab-stop)
> ...so, my problem is solved. :)

FWIW, S-tab is expected to be a "poor man's backtab", i.e. for those
cases where you don't have a backtab key (sadly the most common
situation).  So a "natural" binding would be to be
"reserve-tab-to-tab-stop" that goes to the previous rather than the next
tab stop.

        Stefan