Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:01 -0000

> However, a different, larger (800+kB) file which is also supposed to be
> latin-1 displays as "t:--- file", and the single-byte Umlauts are
> displayed as octal.  How can I find out why emacs loads this file in 't'
> instead of '1'?

You can do the following:
- open the file
- set its coding-system to latin-1 with C-x RET f latin-1 RET
- try to save the file using the new coding system: C-x C-s
- this should hopefully pop up a window giving you a list of chars
  that conflict.

Now this won't work quite right because it will list things like \374 as
well (since at that point Emacs doesn't know that those bytes should
have been read using the latin-1 coding-system), but the list should
hopefully also include some other chars.

But I still suggest you try what I already suggested:

| C-x RET r latin-1 RET should cause the file to be re-read as a latin-1
| file, and it should then be displayed properly.

and see what this gives.

        Stefan