Re: Trouble with M-x sunrise command on debian squeeze (solved)

From: José A . Romero L .
Subject: Re: Trouble with M-x sunrise command on debian squeeze (solved)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:04 -0000

On 23 Paź, 03:13, brownh <bro...@historicalMaterialism.info> wrote:
(...)
> If you are implying that all menu bar commands can be run from the
> keyboard, then I have no need for it. But Sunrise-Commander is new to
> me and I don't know yet if that is true.

Yes, that's exactly the case: Sunrise (as anything else in emacs, I
guess) is completely keyboard-driven. In order to help memorizing a
useful subset of the bindings, you may be interested in the buttons
extension:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander#toc2

to have a look at all the available bindings just press h inside any
of the panes.

(...)
> > What there is is only the menus that additional extensions (like
> > sunrise-x-modeline or sunrise-x-tabs) provide, but nothing else, I'm
> > afraid. Or is that what you're asking about? I've just checked on
(...)
> Are you saying that while the Sunrise menuing is not implemented, it
> can displayed by means of the make-frame line above? I'm also running
(...)

No, all I'm saying is that some of the extensions do display their
menus when menu-bar-mode and Sunrise are both active, but they are
not the "real deal",  they contain only specialized functions from
their specific extensions.

(...)
> I am runing the lisp stanzas in this order: a) require
> sunrise-commander and sunrisex-tree, b) the make-frame line, c) the
> add-hook lines. Is the order important? In any case, I get odd
> results:

Yes, the order is important: the "require" and the "add-hook" stanzas
are intended to be run only once at the beginning of the session, you
use the "make-frame" stanza whenever you want to open a new frame.

> First, Sunrise commander opens only one pane in its frame, which is
> a list view rather than tree view. Its buffers are:
(...)

That's weird, there should be two panes side by side. Can you please
do "M-x toggle-debug-on-error" and send me the trace that appears (if
any) when launching the new frame? Looks like the logic for bringing
up the panes is having some kind of problem.

> Second, I discovered that there are two sessions of emacs
> running. Below the one I just described there is another emacs session
> with the buffers:
(...)

That looks like two frames of the same emacs instance. What happens
when you do C-x C-c in one of them? Does the other get closed too?

(You are aware of the peculiar way the terms "frame" and "window" are
used in emacs, aren't you?)

(...)
> Now, If I do M-x sunrise _twice_ for the top session, it displays
> sunrise commander with two panes and the left one is the tree view

That's right - the sunrise function works like a switch: it turns on
and off the panes.

> (but nothing else except the scratch buffer across bottom). If I try

That's correct too: that is all there is - the bottom window is used
in Sunrise for "quick viewing" the contents of files (you press o and
the file appears underneath, if you select another file and press o
again, the previous file is closed and the new one is shown, and so
on), as a container for the command-line (after pressing C-c t in any
of the panes) and it's also used by the buttons extension to display
the command buttons.

You may get rid of the bottom window with the popviewer extension:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander#toc5

but be aware that it is not compatible with the buttons extension (it
makes no sense to have both installed simultaneously).

> this on the bottom emacs session, I get same result, but it just takes
> one M-x sunrise. Just to be clear, it seems that the sunrise panes
> occupy the two emacs frames.

Yes, you're right again: there is only one instance of the panes and
they can be displayed in only one frame at a time -- when you open
them in one frame, they're automatically closed in the other. If you
need to keep track of multiple directories in any of the panes you
can use the tabs extension:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander#toc7

> Third is a point that probably is irrelevant. I find that in Options,
> if I hide the toolbar and then Save options, the change does not
> stick. I can only hide the toolbar for the current session.

Maybe you need to add "(tool-bar-mode -1)" to you .emacs file?

> Something very strange is going on. I hope my complicated description
> is not giving you a headache. ;-)

Emacs *is* something very strange :) No worries, the whole community
is here to help (or try at least).

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.