Re: describe the entries of a menu

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: describe the entries of a menu
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:25 -0000

On 2010-10-25, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>> I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous for
>> describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).

>     C-h k <mouse to the menu> <click the item you want>
> Not exactly intuitive, but actually effective. :)

I think it must be simplified.  Pressing F1 when the entry of the menu
is "focused" should better have similar effect.

  Likewise for prefix-keys which do not bind F1 (in -nw case, prefix
  keys which do not bind Esc; alternatively, some "unwind" logic must be
  put into prefices which bind Esc, but do not bind Esc-[ and Esc-O).

And for the best result, my "progressive escalation of help" doctrine
should be applied (is it actually mine?  It should have beed
pre-discovered many times...).

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg18821.html

E.g., in Emacs case, the first press of F1 should show the name of the
bound function and "press F1 again for more help".  The second press
should show the name of the function, the first line of the docstring,
and the same message.  The last press would show a *Help* buffer.

Hope this helps,
Ilya