Re: reftex, auctex, and multiple files

From: knubee
Subject: Re: reftex, auctex, and multiple files
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:35:03 -0000

thanks for the response and suggestions.

> Do you have a file test-bib.bib?
> One other thing.  Reftexapparently does not reparse the files unless
> you ask it to.  If you add a test-bib.bib file and still get the error
> message you need to go to the Ref menu, choose "Parse Document"->"Entire
> Document".  Or you could just restart Emacs.

yes, i had test-bib.bib, but running parse document did not
resolve the problem for me (whether it was invoked from within
the master or the sub-file).

after a bit more experimenting, i discovered that "reset buffer"
resolves the problem for me:

- if variable info has been entered by pasting/yanking or typing
  and "C-c [" generates an error (and running parse document does
  not resolve it), try running:

  latex -> multifile/parsing -> Reset Buffer (or "C-c C-n" )

  note: need to do this in the sub-file, not the master file

- or, insert the variable info via latex command:

  latex -> multifile/parsing -> Set Master File (or "C-c_" )

  this command probably combines a) entering the variable info
  text, and b) running "reset buffer."

note that the latex command to set master file will result in
variable of "test-main" rather than "test-main.tex" -- in other
words, the master file does not use the ".tex" extension (as
indicated in the Reftex documentation). invoking "reset buffer"
will fix either form.

note that i keep all my bib files in a single directory and then
set the global BIBINPUTS variable to point to that directory. i
thought this might be the issue, but using "reset buffer" works
fine with this setup.