Re: problem

From: Philip
Subject: Re: problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:35:13 -0000

On Nov 8, 3:15 pm, Subhaditya Bhattacharya <subhaditya...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new mac system in my hand. I installed emacs which I use most often
> to edit my programs. However, here I can't open the file from shell 'in a
> new window' with the command:
>
> 'emacs filename &'
>
> Although it does open with 'emacs filename' in the shell.

What do you mean that it opens fine "in the shell"? Does it open in
the terminal emulator, that is, the text-only version of Emacs,
without buttons and such? What do you see?

However, to make
> sure the programmes run correctly, I need to open several of them at a time
> and run it in the same shell.

If it works fine "in the shell", you can open several "shells" and run
Emacs in each of them, right?

Or you can try to make the graphical version work: type
command emacs filename &

[...]