Re: Scanning keymaps for keybindings

From: Elena
Subject: Re: Scanning keymaps for keybindings
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:35:18 -0000

On 9 Nov, 23:46, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
> It means that there may exist a lot of keymaps that are not bound to any
> variable, but that will nontheless be activated upon a mode change (and
> then accessible via the current-active-maps function).
>
> More over, a mode may very well compute its keymaps dynamically, when it
> is activated or at some other time.
>
> So there is no way to get an exhaustive list of keymaps with a static
> analysis.  All you can do is to try to collect some keymap objects at
> some specific time.  And perhaps try again later.

How true!  Being stucked on keymap scanning, I thought I'd just write
a simpler function with a regex guessing based search.  The first
command I have tried is `ido-prev-work-directory', bound to "M-p".  I
thought it should have existed a keymap variable whose name would
match "ido-.*-map", but according to `describe-variable' there isn't
any.  Digging into "ido.el", showed such function was being bound by
`ido-init-completion-maps', thus requiring source modification, I
think.

Hard times in Emacs for keyboard remappers :-(