Re: In search of classic "C-x x" and "C-x g" keybinding or .emacs defn

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: In search of classic "C-x x" and "C-x g" keybinding or .emacs defn
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:45 -0000

FooBar7 <scraig@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 16, 4:47 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>> FooBar7 <scr...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have been using an older version GNU - 21.3 for windows that used a
>> > more classic key binding for register put/get.  however now with the
>> > more recent version aka. 23.2 these bindings are missing.
>>
>> > I have tried to write my own global-key routine but this also has run
>> > into problems with set-mark and how end-mark-region operates.
>>
>> > I researched a possible save with a compatibility key-binding called:
>> > copy-to-register-compatibility-binding
>> > insert-register-compatibility-binding
>>
>> > But these functions are not found.
>>
>> > Any help for a more classic feel and possibly key bindings would be
>> > greatly appreciated.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> >      -Steve
>>
>> In my current version of emacs (24.0.50 from bzr) C-x x and C-x g do not
>> appear to be bound to anything. Therefore, if I understand your question
>> correctly, all you need to do is identify the names of the functions
>> that use to be bound to these keys and re-bind them.
>>
>> I notice that we do have
>>
>> C-x r x - copy-to-register
>> C-x r g - insert-register
>>
>> Provided the C-x x and C-x g keys have not been bound to anything else
>> on your system, you should be a le to just set a global binding for
>> these keys that use the above functions.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
>
> These are all spot on however there mark region is still alive.
>
> Normally I start my region mark by using the C-SPACE and then the C-xx
> will copy the region to the buffer I name and end the mark region.
> This appears to be yet another change the emacs gods have introduced
> with the newer versions.  Copy-to-register no longer ends the mark
> region buffer

OK, yes there have been some changes. The next version of emacs will be
maing even more changes with respect to regions, selection etc. I don't
fully understand it all, but apparently a major driver for the change is
to try and get more consistency between different platforms.

If the previous version you used was particularly old, then I suspect (a
guess) that it is changes relating to transient mark mode (it use to off
by default and I beleive there have been some changes to get more
consistent behavior).

My recommendation would be to start by checking out the etc/NEWS files
for the versions between the one you use to use and the one you are now
using. This may help with two areas

1. I will outline what has changed between the version you are use to
and the new version you are running - reducing surprises (hopefully)

2. It is general practice to document changes in defaults and previous
behavior AND include at least pointers on how to restore the previous
behavior.

HTH

Tim

--