Re: Problems with Emacs

From: LanX
Subject: Re: Problems with Emacs
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 15:08:19 -0800 (PST)

> Could you expand on this, please?  I cannot deduce what exactly do you
> mean here...

you mostly need (at least basic) elisp know-how and much reading in
the manuals to set up emacs to your needs.

OK there is "customize group" but it's quite slow and very one
dimensional.

Other products have much more popup intuitive *dialogs* and icons.

For instance customizing a compile&run command is much easier in
Komodo, mode-compile isn't even part of the default installation.

Plugins - i.e. .el files - are much more rudimental than e.g. CPAN
modules, which have a predefined installation path, testing and
dependency resolving mechanism.

Xemacs is in many aspect much more intuitive - for instance right-
click produces a context menu which is the nowadays the expected
behavior for newbies. Unfortunately many advanced packages fail to
work in Xemacs, thats why I switched to GnuEmacs.

If you look through the features of Komodo
http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features
you will notices that most of it are either built in emacs or
available as extensions like ECB or regex-tool.

But the user interface is much easier to handle - not only for
beginners also for experienced users which can't remember all commands
and are happy just to click on an icon.