Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 04:33:55 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 1:07 pm, Helmut Eller <eller.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That the IDE forces me to use a particular editor isn't exactly an
> efficiency booster.  Those tools could technically just as well
> communicate with Emacs or VI instead of being "integrated" with a single
> editor of a particular IDE.

Agreed.  That's the downside of using IDEs.  Their tools are tightly
integrated such that  their advanced features are not available
outside of the IDE.

I agree that IDEs do not get everything right.  However, they provide
a time-tested work-flow.  Fixes for the lousy editors integrated into
IDEs are easy to develop (I myself use a Vim emulator).  The other way
around - building an IDE out of an editor - is much more work.