Re: Avoiding raising minibuffer?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Avoiding raising minibuffer?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:25:54 -0500

> is there a way to avoid the minibuffer raising itself?

As you've noticed "raising" isn't the right word (that's used to raise
an X11 window above others).  It turns out that "minibuffer" isn't quite
right either: the mini-window you see at the bottom can either display
a minibuffer (when you type stuff in it, typically with completion,
e.g. for M-x or C-x C-f) or an echo area (where messages are displayed).

All this to say that maybe resize-mini-windows will be able to control
what you want.  Tho maybe it's too coarse.

> There is some package which is raising the minibuffer to display
> messages (which maybe end with a new line which I can't track down),
> and thus the minibuffer sometimes shows a message and an empty line.
> `minibuffer-auto-raise' is already set to nil.

Maybe the problem is with the package, so if you give details and/or
report it as a bug someone will be able to fix it.

Maybe the problem is that all windows can only take sizes that are
multiples of the base text size, so it may look like "2 lines, one of
them empty" while in reality it's just a single line that's slightly
taller than the base text line (because of some face that changes the
font used for that text) so Emacs has to add a whole extra line which
will be mostly (but not completely) empty.

        Stefan