intermittent freezes while using emacs without network (24.0.50/win xp)

From: lode leroy
Subject: intermittent freezes while using emacs without network (24.0.50/win xp)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:33:21 +0100

I have regularly noticed that emacs freezes for a few seconds,
and then continues as if nothing happens, while using it on my
laptop, only while disconnected from the network.
While connected to a network I do not see this behavior.
Does anyone know how to find out what could be causing this?
Is there any way to make background processing more visible ?