RE: tree-style bookmarks for Emacs?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: tree-style bookmarks for Emacs?
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:01:25 -0800

> There is an excellent Firefox add-on called [Tree Style Tabs](https://
> addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5890/)
>
> I have a desire for similar functionality in Emacs, so that I keep a
> folder of bookmarks and when I open that folder, all the files that
> are pointed to by that folder open in a tree, as shown in this mocked-
> up screenshot:
>
> http://www.screencast.com/users/terrence_work/folders/Jing/med
> ia/d550ae5f-e279-4468-8d1d-00c5c75bc77d
>
> In a sense, the ecb history buffer allows tree-based selection of
> files, but the parent of the tree of files, it based on a directory,
> not based on a folder that I choose to organize a set of files into.

Bookmark+ gives you several features that offer this kind of thing.

* Tags (delicious-style) for organizing bookmarks into named sets.

* Multiple bookmark files: access one and get only its bookmarks.

* Bookmark-list bookmarks: similar to multiple bookmark files - jump to a
bookmark to open a particular bookmark list.

* Marking and hiding different sets of bookmarks in a bookmark list: yet another
way to define sets and act on them.

* Emacs desktop bookmarks: jumping to one opens a complete desktop of buffers,
windows, etc.

* Bookmarks that include bookmarks (sequences of bookmarks, etc.).

* Bookmark-list views: another way to organize bookmarks into sets with
different properties.

* Dired bookmarks: Includes saving which files and subdirs are marked, which are
hidden, etc.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus