Re: Using abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix starts a new line

From: dbdkmezz
Subject: Re: Using abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix starts a new line
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:39 -0000

On 20 July, 11:08, dbdkmezz <dbdkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is odd. I discovered that I could use abbrev-prefix-mark `M-' to
> add prefixes and suffixes to abbreviations yesterday, and it all
> worked fine (I think!). But now when I use to add suffixes it adds the
> suffix fine, but then moves the pointer down to the next line (if
> there is a lower line to go to). I know there's nothing in the
> documentation about using this command for suffixes (it only mentions
> prefixes) but it makes sense, and it does at least half work.
>
> Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, or how I can fix
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Apologies for replying to my own post, but realised I didn't include
enough details. It only adds the extra line when using a space to
expand the abbreviation. If I expand it with another character (such
as a comma or a full-stop) then instead of adding a new line it just
add's a extra space before the expanding character. (Again, this is
fine when just using an abbreviation as usual, it only goes wrong when
using the abbrev-prefix-mark to add a suffix.)

Also, I've just discovered that I can use the command expand-abbrev,
or `C-x a e', to expand abbreviations, and then add the suffix. Doing
things this way works perfectly, and I guess is the way we are
expected to add suffixes. So these problems only occur when using the
abbrev-prefix-mark outside it's expected use, so can probably be
ignored :)

Paul