Installing emacs binaries in non-standard location

From: Derek
Subject: Installing emacs binaries in non-standard location
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:28:01 -0000

Hopefully this will help someone else.

I was given access to a bunch of AIX(6) boxes at work that didn't have
emacs and didn't have a compiler so I couldn't build emacs from
source.

I was able to find some binary RPM's for AIX at

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/rpmgroups.html

I used
   * emacs-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
   * emacs-el-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
   * emacs-leim-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
   * emacs-nox-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm

Of course I couldn't install the rpms because I am a non-root user, so
I extracted the files from the rpms using rpm2cpio like so

rpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv

I actually extracted them on a linux box because I didn't have
rpm2cpio on the AIX box.

Once they were extracted, I tarred everything up and moved it to a
directory on the AIX box that I had permissions to.  I then tried to
run "emacs-nox."

It wouldn't run because these were binary packages and the standard
locations of the files were "built" into the binaries.  It was looking
for the standard files at

/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/.......

I was getting the following errors

Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/opt/freeware/lib/emacs/21.3/powerpc-
ibm-aix5.1.0.0/) does not exis\
t.
Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp'
does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not
exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/leim' does not
exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/lisp' does not
exist.

but of course I didn't have permission to install it there as a non-
root user.  I had installed it in

/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/....

After some searching, I found that I could set some environment
variables to override the default locations of the files.  Here are
the variables I set.

EMACSLOADPATH=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/lisp
EMACS_DIR=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3
EMACSDATA=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/etc

and exported them

export EMACSLOADPATH EMACS_DIR EMACSDATA

I could then successfully start emacs-nox on the AIX boxes.  Ahhhhhh

Hope this helps someone else avoid a slow painful death by vi.