Re: Fascinating interview by Richard Stallman at KTH on emacs history an

From: Kenneth Tilton
Subject: Re: Fascinating interview by Richard Stallman at KTH on emacs history and internals
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:25 -0000

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message
<bd2d1d84-6090-4898-b7c2-59167fc8e1f5@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Nick
Keighley wrote:

On 16 July, 09:24, Mark Tarver <dr.mtar...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
On 15 July, 23:21, bolega <gnuist...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/stallman-kth.html
RMS lecture at KTH (Sweden), 30 October 1986
did you really have to post all of this...

<snip>

read more »...
...oh sorry only about a third of it...

Still totally unnecessary, though.

Perhaps as an antidote

http://danweinreb.org/blog/rebuttal-to-stallmans-story-about-the-formation-of-symbolics-and-lmi

    In other words, software that was developed at Symbolics was not given
    way for free to LMI. Is that so surprising?

Which is conceding Stallman’s point.

    Anyway, that wasn’t Symbolics’s “plan”; it was part of the MIT licensing
    agreement, the very same one that LMI signed. LMI’s changes were all
    proprietary to LMI, too.

I don’t understand this bit. The only “MIT licensing agreement” I’m aware
off _allows_ you to redistribute your copies without the source, but doesn’t
_require_ it.

Right, and this "fascinating" and "amazing" and "awesome" post needs only one rejoinder: twenty-four years later all we have is "free as in beer" software being milked by proprietary enterprises.

Sadly, they would be more effective and more profitable if RMS had never existed, because then they would be paying fair market price for significantly better proprietary tools driven by the demands of a price/value competitive market.

What we do not have is any interesting amount of "free as in speech" software, because no one uses the GPL.

The LGPL is Stallman's way of saying, OK, I was wrong.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself." Macworld