Re: turning off all indentation

From: Lynn Newton
Subject: Re: turning off all indentation
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:08:04 -0000

> I have a hard time imagining why you would run
> indent-region if you definitely don't want Emacs to
> indent the region.

Me too. It was just an example. I've had all variations
Emacsen behave obstreperously for no reason that I
could detect, suddenly changing its characteristics and
forgetting my preferences, right in the middle of
editing when in some particular programming mode. (This
happens a lot to me in cperl-mode.) In some cases I
wind up having little recourse other than to kill the
editing session and start a new one.

> > (Note the 8-space tabs.)

> It's not like you can't configure cc-mode to do
> exactly that style of indentation.

True enough, but that doesn't answer the original
question about how to set that for every mode all the
time. It's just what the person in whose behalf I'm
asking wants. Certainly not my own preference, as I
think that in most modes the defaults that are set are
good, and probably should not be altered without good
reason.